Sunday, January 2, 2011

Leche Flan tips

Leche FlanImage via WikipediaMy wife cooked for our Christmas and New year dinner simple dishes, but which are not really simple to cook. These are our native dishes, and so native that wherever Filipinos go, whichever continent they land their feet on, the food follows.

Here we are in Singapore at the moment, and she made leche flan (egg custard). We've seen 2 prevailing recipes, the one as the standard method, and the other with honey. So she tried the one with honey.

It turned out that the honey should not be mixed with the base custard, but with the topping only. At any rate, what she made was super!

My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen TreatsOf course, others may use coffee to put in a bitter taste that will balance the otherwise all-sweet custard taste. And on the other hand, some will use lemon rind instead of using coffee. Well, the coffee is just for the topping, while the lemon rind goes to the base custard mix.

She used lemon rind, and she scraped more than the usual. I could say I liked what she did. it is like eating a mentholated custard - sweet, bitter, with a bit of a kick left in the mouth.

And why do some include the egg white? As I've seen it done in the provinces, it is to
1. make the custard firmer; using only egg yolk makes the custard very soft, which some desire, of course.
Daisy Cooks: Latin Flavors That Will Rock Your World2. produce more leche flan. I mean, the egg white is about 1/4 or 2/3 of the whole egg, so if you add that, you'll end up having leche flan by 1/4 or 2/3 more than what you'd get when you use only egg yolks.

So that's all about it! Enjoy!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Wow leche flan just ate one this afternoon. I was told not to beat the egg yolks because you wouldn't want them to create bubbles. But you've got a different way of melting the sugar. I really love eating leche flan. I was always mesmerize by how did the brown thing go on top. My mom made a leche flan before but it wasn't as perfect as the picture above. I'll try to make one as my present to myself for passing the California Online Food Handler Training and Certification last week.

    ReplyDelete